Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth fast-paced environment? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing health systems organization focusing on the acceleration of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) through design and delivery of non-traditional approaches to global health challenges that are bold, creative and pragmatic. Our work addresses the UHC priorities through harnessing the public and private sector to deliver on health financing, HRH, governance, research and evaluation using a diverse range of tools and processes.
We are currently recruiting a Technical Director to assume a leadership role in our Maputo office. This exciting role will oversee all technical areas of design, implementation and monitoring of the current project portfolio. We are seeking an individual who is keen on providing technical leadership to a cutting-edge portfolio while mentoring and empowering teams through hands-on management. This dynamic role requires someone who will contribute to our organizational values, learning and high performance while driving external engagement with regional and global actors to pursue new sources of donor funding. They will lead and participate in proposal teams to ensure diversification of the country program portfolio while maintaining existing donor relations and expansion of existing programs.
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Reports to: Country Director, Maputo, Mozambique.
W H A T Y O U ’ L L D O
Technical Leadership and Management
1. Provide technical leadership and management oversight to ThinkWell country program staff; including senior technical specialists, analysts, and interns.
2. Provide senior technical expertise to the project managers and country office staff, across the program portfolio; these areas include health financing, human resources for health, supply chain management and research and evaluation.
3. Drive the health sector engagement with the Ministry of Health on all major intervention areas supported by ThinkWell
4. Oversee the research and evaluation portfolio, to ensure quality design, research implementation, analysis and writing of reports, articles and related peer reviewed journal publications
5. Lead the development of technical documents, project status reports, and blogs and articles for publication and dissemination on ThinkWell’s website, external sites, and at conferences
6. Lead the process for identifying and securing potential partners; and recruiting consultants and staff.
7. Ensure timely delivery of quality products through adoption of and compliance with ThinkWell’s
Representation and Visibility
8. Represent ThinkWell with all key stakeholders within government, donors, and other non-state actors, on all technical aspects of current and prospective projects.
9. Lead, or participate in, new business through engagement with Ministry counterparts, partners and other relevant agencies in the design and development of proposals
10. Maintain communications with other ThinkWell project managers in various global locations, for the purposes of technical exchange, knowledge management and dissemination, cross- fertilization;
11. Actively contribute to further ThinkWell’s thought leadership on the global health agenda and UHC, by presenting / publishing project findings at conferences, technical working group meetings, and in peer-reviewed literature.
12. Represent ThinkWell in interaction / networking with donors, strategic program partners and other stakeholders at technical meetings, events and fora to ensure engagement on the latest developments in HSS and other relevant technical areas.
Q U A L I F I C A T I O N S
1. Graduate degree in public health, health economics or related subject, (ideally PhD level), with specialist qualifications in health systems.
2. At least 15 years of relevant work experience ideally in Mozambique health sector.
3. Extensive experience working with ministries of health and finance, and with donors and implementers;
4. Strong network in the health systems and policy research community preferred.
5. Proven track record in technical project management and people management.
6. Fluent command of English and working proficiency in Portuguese.
7. Willingness to travel to provinces and within the region.
W H O Y O U A R E
• Inspiring leader who models the principles of conscious leadership and embraces facilitation and mentorship as the primary tools for leadership;
• Ability to rally staff around ThinkWell’s advocacy-oriented and transformative vision
• Has a ‘can-do’, ‘anything is possible, ‘start-up’ ethos combined with a strong sense of urgency
and action orientation;
• Strong belief that traditional, top-down management is a relic of the past and used as a last- resort management tool. Instead, you possess a strong desire to lead with a facilitative and mentoring approach;
• Strong and compelling writing skills
• Thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of achieving development outcomes;
• Committed to modeling a work culture that strongly espouses individual authenticity, radical feedback, intelligent failure, and collective impact;
• Ability to flourish in a dynamic organization that fundamentally values iteration and evolution over stability and predictability;
• Ability to externally represent and convey ThinkWell’s passion, conviction, impatience, anger,
and desire to see change;
• Intuitive ability to relate and connect with people from different cultures, orientations, and operating lenses (political, technical, funder, business partner, etc); with special acumen on maintaining positive relations in a virtual world.