ThinkWell is not a traditional development organization. Rather, we are a creative health sector transformation platform that thrives on pushing boundaries and reconceiving possibilities. We work with private equity and venture capital investors, pharmaceutical companies, and large commercial enterprises to leverage resources for shared public value. At the same time, we have a deep understanding of the development arena, working as advisors to ministries of health across the globe and with nearly all major development agencies. Our bottom line is social impact, our approach is entrepreneurship.
Over the last two decades, USAID has supported the creation of Smiling Sun, the largest NGO network of maternal and child health clinics in the world. Through 388 clinics and over 10,000 satellite clinics, this network has grown to serve 38 million unique customers year across all 64 districts in Bangladesh. The Smiling Sun brand has developed value in and of itself -- it is well-recognized across the country and respected as a premier provider of maternal and child health services in the Bangladesh. Despite these achievements, the Smiling Sun network remains unsustainable, hard to manage, and faces governance challenges.
ThinkWell anticipates funding to consolidate the current network of NGO-managed clinics into a sustainable accountable care organization. With a private-equity mindset, ThinkWell will consolidate the NGO clinics into a single, wholly-managed, privately run social enterprise, the Surjer Hashi Group (SHG). The SHG’s mission is to be a financially viable enterprise while maintaining its pro-poor mandate. The SHG will combine aggressive revenue generation strategies while ensuring cost effective, quality services are delivered to a mix of poor and non-poor population. The Enterprise Development Director is responsible for the creation, and management of innovative health systems models that stimulate private equity investment and that support the short-term and long-term needs for the Surjer Hashi Group (SHG) Incubator. He/She will also interpret, use and apply information obtained to inform a range of health systems improvement activities that stimulate revenue generation to ensure sustained high quality clinical service delivery. The Enterprise Development Director is expected to ensure that the overall enterprise is maintained in a coherent manner and to ensure that the respective health systems perspectives are in line with the country’s governance strategies, policies and standards.
The Enterprise Development Director will develop frameworks that span all of the Smiling Sun Health networks. He/She will define the strategy and roadmap for the underlying infrastructure that supports and maintains a secure and successful health system.
Building SHG enterprise through innovative solutions
· Build relationships and trust with key business stakeholders to stimulate revenue generation and mobilization of private equity for SHG clinics.
· Recommend and participate in the assessment, analyses of findings and planning for the long-term strategic and operating plans of SHG.
· Define and maintain the marketing and public relations roadmap that optimizes investments and coordinate marketing efforts across all Smiling Sun Clinics
· Define the standard methodology, responsibilities and deliverables that capture the various levels of social impact
· Define and maintain high operating standards and principles within SHG that will inform the enterprise and enable it to achieve its goals.
· Communication Ensure ongoing alignment of SHG strategies and continuously update the project design ensuring it remains current, consistent and agile
· Communicate regularly with peers to update progress, discuss issues and priorities
· Ensure that advisors understand the Enterprise and are producing data for the development of clinics and teams which are compliant with the industry standards and principles
· Research solutions and emerging strategies within the market for the advancement of SHG and in support of current business needs
· Share best practices, lessons learned and constantly update clinics within the network based on changing priorities, strategies and knowledge related to recent, current and futures approaches and solutions
· Team Management
· Lead a core group of advisors and
· Establish employee goals and objectives to be aligned with organizational goals
· Provide ongoing feedback to employees regarding observed performance and input shared by partner staff and external stakeholders
· Establish clear direction for employees and assign work appropriately
· Provide mentoring and development guidance
1. A minimum of 12 years of relevant experience, including at least 7 years in leadership roles;
2. Executive-level experience leading and growing health systems;
3. Graduate-level education, with MPA and/or MBA highly desirable;
4. Experience/confidence working with a range of funders, including US government, private sector investors, development donors, Government of Bangladesh, and large commercial businesses;
5. Advanced knowledge of enterprise development.
6. Advanced knowledge of infrastructure strategies and organization development
7. Strong organizational awareness.
8. Strong interpersonal skills to resolve problems in a professional manner, lead working groups, negotiate and create consensus.
9. Willingness to live and work in Bangladesh for at least three years, preferably five;
10. Fluent command of English and Bangladeshi.
Skills and Competencies
1 Understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas within complex environments such as ministries of health and large funding organizations;
2 Irreverence towards traditional development practices and burning desire to make things happen is required;
3 Intense drive to build a pro-poor social enterprise;
4 Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries;
5 Ability to manage client expectations and deliver on client needs;
6 Ability to represent ThinkWell’s expertise convincingly and credibly;
7 Ability to advocate for ThinkWell’s role and value during business development negotiations;
8 Exceptional ability to write compelling technical reports;
9 Comfort in speaking to and engaging a range of different audiences on technical concepts;
10 Ability to work in a lightly structured environment and effectively collaborate with remote team members;
11 Drive to challenge conventional wisdom;
12 A combination of humility and confidence.